Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Votes and Dreams

Is this a great country or what?

Put partisan politics aside for a moment and think about the two candidates for president. Yes, I know there are many more candidates for president, but right now, I’m just writing about the two major party candidates.
When Obama and McCain vote today, can you imagine what must be going through their minds?

I just can’t imagine that Obama, as a young child, dreamed he would ever be voting for himself for president. A black, the child of an interracial marriage; if the presidency was a dream of his as a youngster, it had to be one of his wildest dreams.

And John McCain. Somehow I think it will be a very emotional time for him when he votes. I wonder: When he was a prisoner of war for all of those years, did he ever dream that one day he would be able to cast a ballot for himself for the presidency? Did he wonder if he would ever be released - or even live - to vote for anyone again?

We DO live in a remarkable country, don’t we?

4 comments:

Norma said...

A beautiful post. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Ingrid said...

The around 40.000 Americans living in Belgium, all voted for Obama. I saw their election party on our local TV. And he won !

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed visiting your blogs. Sounds like you have had and still have a very busy and interesting life. Thanks for taking the time to visit me.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this. For the last several months I have been so aggravated with both candidates and both parties that I failed to recognize the wonder of these two men even being in the election. I will have to say I was so impressed by both McCain's and Obama's speeches on Tuesday night. Both displayed grace, humility, and professionalism.