Monday, October 13, 2008

Pinocchio and Politics

Wouldn’t it be great if there were some sort of magic signal that would go off if a politician lies? Like Pinocchio’s nose growing when he said something that wasn’t true. Or perhaps a star on the forehead that would glow if an official made a false claim.

But, alas, there’s no such thing. Not exactly.
At least one of the 24-hour news networks has something called a “truth squad” – or some similar name. Members of the squad occasionally look at political debates and speeches, then do some research and report on the truthfulness – or falsity – of the claims and charges from the candidates.
I wish we had a similar, non-partisan group on every level. It would be nice if those who report the news could, instead of just repeating claims and charges, research the truthfulness and report those facts.
It’s not easy for voters to get the actual facts without distortion, but we have the responsibility to cast intelligent votes. Until there’s a microchip implanted in all candidates to detect truth and falsehoods, we need to look behind the talk to find out what’s true and what’s not.
And I don’t think there’s much chance of any candidate ever having a microchip implanted.

1 comment:

Sandee said...

Yep, you are so right about this. Both camps are stretching the truth and some it just downright lies. I say let's do the chip. Let's just vote. I'm so sick of this five-year election. Have a great day. :)